Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring versus Winter

I was thinking the other day about the stark contrast between the seasons here in Ohio. And it got me thinking about the seasons of life...I know, I know, I'm getting philosophical now that I'm in my 40's. Hear me out.... Spring time- time for new life, Summer- youthfulness, Autumn- Adulthood- Winter- Senior citizens and ultimately the end our our cycle of life.



When you're young the season of Winter seems so distant, sometimes not even comprehensible. In your teens and early twenties you're so busy with enjoying your "Summer" life you don't think much about the end of your life. Autumn you try to do everything you failed to do in Spring and Summer to prepare for Winter...not to mention you try to stage of the signs of Winter- in other words- "aging"...( wrinkle creams, exercises, and eating healthy). Then when winter comes it can either be a pleasant experience or a painful one. The way you handle your winter says a lot about the how the person lived their Spring, Summers and Autumn. My mother-in-law lived her Winter, despite her Alzheimer's, with dignity, kindness and grace. Just like she lived her life ! Some people, like my dad, never got to see their Winter. His journey of life ended during his Autumn. Was it a blessing in disguise that he didn't have to endure a terrible Winter? I'm not sure.




I've been spending a lot of time with my grandparents (ages 89 and 93 ) in the nursing home. Since I last blogged about them in December, there has been such a decline in their health. Seeing them slowly worsen is a reminder of just how fragile our earthly bodies are. Grandma and Grandpa now need a lot more nursing care. Grandma fell not long ago and it's hard for her to walk on her own. Grandpa's Alzheimers has gotten much worse. I try to see them at least once or twice a week. Some visits are better than others, but after each visit I can't help but take my mind back to my childhood memories of a much different picture of my grandparents. A picture of vibrance and business not silence and loneliness. A time of laughter and silliness not negativity and confusion. I pray each time I leave them that God will grant them peace and clarity during this stage in their lives.

I remember seeing a bumper stickers years ago that said "Growing older isn't for sissies". I totally understand that saying now. Our bodies eventually are going to give out and it ain't pretty. This "house" for our soul isn't built to live on earth but for just a blip on the radar screen of life. Thank God it's our heavenly body that will withstand eternity in heaven with Him.

I love my grandparents so very much and even though when I see them in the state they are in it brings me sadness, it's knowing that I will see them again in their glorified bodies that brings me so much hope and happiness. Heaven must be like Spring and Summer all the time !