Saturday, December 20, 2008

Married 71 years !

Seventy one years ! Most people don't get the chance to even live that long, but my sweet grandparents will be married 71 years this Christmas Eve. I've been so blessed to have my grandparents in my life. Even though my dad left Dayton U.C and decided to make Cincinnati our home, dad made sure that us kids spent time with our grandparents. Our family times with our grandparents were always filled with amazing food, fun games, conversations and plenty of love. It saddens me to see my dear little grandpa dealing with the effects of Alzheimer's disease, but the gentleness of his spirit is always there as well as a funny sense of humor. During our visit today he said if he knew we were coming he would have baked a cake. I laughed and said, "I'm glad you still have your sense of humor grandpa." With that he quickly replied, "That's about all the sense I have. " He got a big laugh for that one !!!
Grandma has never left my grandpas side since he recently passed out at their home in November. She's sleeps in a lazy boy recliner every night in his room. Grandpa was released from the hospital a couple weeks ago and put in a nursing home for rehabilitation. I know it's very difficult for them to leave their home of 30 years and be confined to a small room but they've got each other and that's what is important to them.